Thursday, June 12, 2008

Random thoughts that splurt out of nowhere

What does it mean to be in love?

Years ago, when getting good grades and trying to get into a good university was more important than what I considered (and still consider to a certain degree) as banalities, aka, falling in love or just liking someone, that question was non-existent. As time passed and I matured, and observed how friends and family were falling in love, I started wondering how it really feels like. Is it like they portray it in the movies? Do you become an addict, unable to be apart from the person you romantically love? Is it like a crush but taken to the extreme?

Admittedly, I've had bad crushes, infatuations that were quiet difficult to get over from. But I believe I have never fallen in love. Moreover, I doubt I would hardly realize it once it happens. For once, while I admit I'm dense, it is not because of that density that I'm supposedly blind but the reluctance to believe that someone can care for or simply like me in a romantic way.

So it is interesting to hear friends or just people say that they're deeply in love after meeting someone for a very brief period - sometimes, just a day or even hours. Does love at first sight really exist? I believe that there's definitely physical attraction, or just plain attraction. A crush, if you must. But to be deeply in love? I'm reluctant to believe so because love should be nurtured, or so I believe. Therefore, while you can like someone at first sight and declare that you're in love, perhaps you are just infatuated and the real state of being in love comes after you truly meet this person. Am I making sense?

I don't know. I can be wrong but really, I have seen people falling out of love after they actually began to know their partners. This is my theory, if you're truly in love, why can't you be willing to learn more about that person, to understand him or understand her? Of course, it should be a two way thing. To me love is sacrifice, patience, understanding, and partnership. And this is why it should be hard to fall out of love if your feelings are honest and strong enough. I'm a romantic at heart in spite of all the sarcasm and cynicism I keep in my persona regarding this topic.

But anyway, so what do you feel then? What makes you want to sacrifice everything, to give it all for that special person? The answer should be love, yes, but how do you know it is what it is? Contradicting my comments above, many have given it all to regret it later on. So love can be fake too, deceiving. So what is true love, how do you identify it, how do you know it is true?

Perhaps I'm just going in circles and am trying to understand something that is inexplicable. After all, that's the beauty of this feeling, right? It's exclusive and inclusive, personal and collective. Each individual has his or her own version of it and yet, we all also know that to be in love is supposed to be wonderful (with its ups and downs) - one of the best feelings in the world. Perhaps, I just want to fall in love, to be in love, be loved. Or perhaps I'm just curious because no matter how much I hear about it, how many times I see its cycles of joy and despair, I always roll my eyes when relationships are broken and someone uses me as a confidante and tells me that they still love him or her. In my mind, what they had, as bad as it sounds, it wasn't true love.

No comments: