So I survived my first week at PiB, or what I called the "language summer camp." My first test was not that great, but I suppose I can only improve with time. Anyhow, depressing news aside, today we went to the Great Wall, at Jingshanling, and it was fantastic!
For those who don't know, there are many ways to get to parts of the Great Wall in Beijing. The closest one to the city, the most visited, and the "newest" (finished during the Ming, I think?) is the section at Badaling. We went to the one at Jinshanling since, well, I really don't know, but I think it's because it's the most well preserved and you can actually go to sections that are truly, truly old.
We climbed for about three hours and although we ended up looking like hell (at least I did) and tired, it was worth it. The view was amazing and of course, that was my exercise of the week. Nevertheless, menial comments aside, I was impressed by the fortification and structure of the Wall. It's really a protection fort. Moreover, I definitely admired those who assumed the position of "protectors/soldiers/warriors" and had to basically in the Wall. I also feel sympathy for those who helped in the building process. I can't even begin to estimate the number of lives that have been lost.
Nevertheless, it was enjoyable though exhausting, and while probably eighty percent, if not more, of the students have gone out to dance, sing at a karaoke, or whatever, I'm too old (and tired) to follow their example. Besides, I also need to practice more and try to improve my Chinese and make my teachers and myself proud of my progress, because at this moment, I truly feel like the dummy of those in fifth year. >.<
PS: On a completely different note, my mom's biopsy results were good. She only needs some kind of treatment and things should be controlled.
1 comment:
I am glad that you made it in okay! I miss you and I hope that all is well! Take care!
Post a Comment