Saturday, June 21, 2008

Ni hao

I have discovered that I can't open Livejournal or Xanga in China. Interesting, really, since I know so many people who are able to use the latter - well, at least in Hong Kong. Nevertheless, as a result, for the next two and half months I'll write in Gmail's blogger since it seems to be the only thing working.

So, I'm sound and safe, I think, but I'm still adjusting. Beijing is not as different as I thought it would be, but it is different enough that some things can get confusing/frustrating/bizarre, whatever your pick is. On the positive side (there are many positive things but I'm just stuck in this pessimistic persona at the moment) though, yummy food for cheap prices! :D (you know I'm all for the food). And yes, I also get to practice my Chinese which is the main reason I'm here for. >.<

But anyhow, most people in my program are younger than I am - by like two or three years - but those who are in my same class seem more mature than the younger ones. Of course, there are always exceptions. Yet, those who are older or have the same age are doing/studying/researching pretty much the same thing as I am: IR, International Affairs, Political Development, etc. ^^ That, of course, is fantastic because at least we have something in common to talk about. :P

Now, with regards to jet-lag, I'm still under its effects. The fact that we have been waking up at like 7 in the morning everyday for orientation and placement tests has a lot to do with the constant state of exhaustion and sleepiness, I believe... and classes will start this Monday at 7:30 as well. Whoever told me this was similar to a summer boot camp, I think he was right. But I came here to learn and improve my Chinese, so I should take advantage of this.

So going along the lines of jet-lag, I think I'll call it a night. I will probably write something else later (much later, depending on how exploited I'll be. I have six books for Chinese!), but for now, I'm not coherent enough nor am I awake enough to really write something that is not disjointed or that makes much sense.

*peacing out*

1 comment:

sunset823 said...

I hope you don't need to be writing an "official" blog for PiB, cuz then I'll have to spend a whole summer staring blankly at Chinese :-P