Saturday, September 20, 2008

It is interesting how things work. I have been somehow sad during the last couple of days, and just now, I received a phone call from Gilda. She told me that she went to pick up Marie (her mother-in-law) from Grand Rapids, and surprise, they were in the car outside my apartment! :D

This impromptu visit was really really nice. It brought a smile on my face, and I'm still smiling. I hadn't seen Marie since last Christmas when she made that delicious corn soufflé, and as usual, just like most of the elder people I know, was concerned about the fact that I hadn't found a boyfriend yet. Of course, she first asked me about school and China, and politics - since she knows that I can be a political junkie sometimes. It's just funny how every time I see her she's like, 'so Vickie, have you found a nice man?' Followed by her grandmother-ish, 'in my times (have in mind she's like 90 something), at your age, we already had kids.' And then she amends, 'but I suppose times have changed.'

She's just so adorable and nice. She loves to talk, so one time, when I was house-sitting for Gilda and Marie had come to visit, we spent a whole afternoon talking about nothing and everything with a couple of cups of coffee.

Anyway, their surprise visit made me happy and all warm and fuzzy inside. :P It is in moments like this that I thank God that I have so many wonderful friends - however old or young they are. In one way or another, they have always been there whether they know it or not.

So thank you! :)

Edit:

This night is full of surprises, it seems. Ric called me just now too. He's one of my best friends from Peru and is currently studying in Virginia. I hadn't talked to him since I went to China! As usual, he asked me about myself, my social life or lack thereof, my family, and sports. There's no conversation with him in which we don't end up talking about sports.

But the most interesting thing was when he asked me what I would do after graduation. I told him that I'm applying to get a special permit so I can stay for one more year in here and work. He said that if I end up in DC or NY, we should room together. If I didn't know that he had applied to med-schools in those cities, I would have taken this as a joke. But it's not. We have basically grown up together and if we do end up in the same cities working and studying, it would actually help to share the living costs. Of course, I would have to convince his girlfriend (again) that she shouldn't feel threatened. -_- For Pete's sake, Ric is like my brother. Anything beyond friendship is like 'ew' to me.

So yeah, another pleasant surprise for the night!

No comments: