I'm not a hip dresser. I'm in fact boring when it comes to my clothes. They're serious, mostly formal, and sometimes too old for my age (or so my more "hip" sisters say). In fact, I usually dress as if I'm inside an office 24/7--which is arguably true.
That said, I do like fashion and am always curious about what other people wear. It's like watching one's mood and life style through his or her clothes. So being the usually curious person I am, I enjoy going through websites that show what other people wear. Namely, I like to visit those so called street-fashion-photographers' websites.
There's one that is particularly popular and it's called The Sartorialist. I'm sure many have heard of this guy. About two years ago, I began to follow his site to check on the pics he took. Some were very interesting; however, as time passed the pics, the styles he portrayed became boring. Not boring like me and my common, formal clothes, but boring because they pretty much depicted how the photographer wished/wanted people to dress like. His so called pics of random fashionable people in the streets became pics of one or two stereotypes. I believe even a newspaper came out with an article about what a person could wear if he or she wanted to catch the sartorialist's attention and be photographed.
I respect people's point of view, their vision of art and fashion... but... if you call yourself a photographer who captures fashionable or interesting trends, shouldn't you be doing that? Instead, I saw photographs of the same styles over and over again. The only difference: the faces, the color of clothing, and maybe one or two accessories. As a result, I stopped visiting the website.
But tonight, after some 12+ months, I decided to visit the website again to see if there was anything new. Who knows, maybe I could be visually inspired or surprised (in a good way).
But nothing changed. It was the same.
In other words, and I'm adding my two unfashionable cents, if you want to be photographed by this guy just check three to five pics from his site and you'll get an idea:
- Dress like a hipster who happens to have a boyfriend/girlfriend who dresses (or tries to) like a boho and take some of his/her accessories.
- If you can, add a fedora hat, wear those thick rimmed glasses and get an old fashioned bike.
- Let's not forget the essential cellphone in your hands (you should pretend to text or talk) and/or a grande coffee cup.
- As for colors, there are differences between the seasons, but if in doubt wear blue, white, red, yellow, or black. If you're adventurous, some flowery stuff could work too (preferably small flowers, not big ones).*
So if you excuse me now, I shall go and burn my clothes and get myself a super cool dark blue blazer, skinny jeans (that can be folded at the bottom, mind you), oxford shoes, and very long necklaces. Oh, and a fedora hat.
*When I speak of the colors, I also speak of their variations
No comments:
Post a Comment