Tuesday, August 18, 2009

During the last couple of days I've been feeling sorry for myself in spite of the opportunity in the city of everyone's dreams. Part of it is due to all the worries and what I expect and/or want for my future. The road has been long and full of adventures, but just once, I really wanted--still want--something stable and that I can depend on (mostly, financially). 

But then, I met this particular person. Extremely smart. Full of life. Was a teacher abroad and is trying to continue going back. There are scars on her--physically--but she lives as if nothing terrible happened to her. 

She survived leukemia. And as far as I know, she doesn't let everyone know that. She's alive, that's what matters. 

That made me think. While I can continue feeling sorry for myself for things that are indeed dirving me up against the wall, there are people who had gone through worse things. They have not and are not asking for pity. They're living life at its fullest--or as full as they can live it. 

I shouldn't try to be like them (I can't not for I'm my own person), but I should learn to appreciate what they're unknowingly teaching me. 

Looking back, I have nothing to feel sorry for. I have a family that loves me and doesn't hesitate to support me whenever I need them. I have friends who are always there, offering help and cheering me up. I have good health. I have a roof to live under. Putting things in perspective, I'm extremely lucky. I have nothing to feel sorry for and I should simply stop being the girl who complains just because she can. 

No comments: