Years ago, my younger siblings loved to use this phrase: Vickie 姐姐加油 - which was taken from a TV show for kids when we were visiting Hong Kong. Now, I feel that I really need to hear it. Or at least, I'm repeating it over and over again in my head so I can continue working hard. Admittedly, this language program has resulted more demanding than I expected. And while I complain and whine (when not) about now slightly reduced amount of work, I feel that I have indeed improved my Chinese - however precarious it still seems to be. So, week three and I'm having midterms next week. How time flies!
But that aside, I'm so glad that most of the CCS gang is here in Beijing. I really missed them and I think I will miss them once we go on our separate ways again. After the end of this summer, we won't probably see each other until, well, life brings us together again? :( Kind of depressing but I believe anything is possible. After all, I indeed was able to meet with a elementary school classmate after almost ten years! And I found her (well, more like she found me) in the mall of a different city during one random day. Life and its coincidences.
This has made me think about my friendships. I have realized, sooner than later I suppose, that all my friends are all over. I was just talking to Soumya the other night and I was telling her that sometimes, I feel lonely. Not necessarily because I don't have anyone to talk to, but because the people I want to talk to, either they're at the other side of the world and my only medium to communicate with them is using the computer; or they're simply too busy running around as well to spend too much time - again - online. Heck, even my own family is all over sometimes. But anyhow...
Why am I complaining? My ultimate goal is to be a diplomat and that in itself entails a gypsy life. Though I admit that sometimes I wish I could simply stay at home, I don't even know where exactly home is. My heart is split in tiny pieces. Every dear friend, every family member has a part of me with them, and unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how every person views it, they're spread around continents, countries, cities, and what have you. As cheesy as what I have just written may sound, it is the truth.
This is perhaps why I appreciate all my friends. Because every moment I can spend with them is precious in a way. I mean, since I'm not always here or there, I can only see a few one or twice and then move to the next destination. Sometimes I miss events I wish I didn't miss, or sometimes, because of the distance, we start drifting apart and that makes me sad. It has happened more than once. Friendships I wished had gotten stronger, became weaker after time and distance found their ways into our path. But this is life I suppose. I can't control it, at least not what it is out of my hands.
So... I don't even know why I wrote this but I assume it is a way to let my thoughts out. I'll write more about my adventures in China once I find the time (snorts) to do so. But for now, just deal with the sentimental gibberish of a tired mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment