Thursday, April 8, 2010

Because the world needs more inspiration

I'm been feeling deflated and depressed lately. Mostly, because of my inability to get the scores I want for a test that can define my immediate future.

And yet today, after randomly watching some videos about inspiring ideas, I literally stumbled upon several individuals, a schoolboy, a middle school girl, a high schooler, a professional actress, and so on... all of them had interesting stories, stories worth sharing and spreading. Their ultimate message: ideas--simple, complex, however one defines them--change the world.

Whether it is to have a sponsored bike ride to raise money for a good cause, or to impersonate people from different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds to promote tolerance, no matter how old or young on is, one can change the world.

I say this because, in my idealistic and utopia-oriented mind, I really aspire to do that: to change, improve the world. To help people. To try to make it a better place. But where I've gotten thus far? Nowhere. I've accomplished to get tons of education and yet want to continue to do that because in this idealistic mind of mine, I truly believe that one type of degree can open the path and legitimate this so called goal of mine. But besides that, I simply moan and lament my low scores.

People say one should start from baby steps. If one cannot change the world, start with your country. If that's still too big, then your town, your community, your friends. Start from wherever you can. To some degree, you might have changed the world--Pay It Forward, anyone?

So what could I do, what could others do? I honestly don't know (so much for changing the world). However, I believe that just the fact that I have this dream, this aspiration, I know I'll get somewhere. In one of those inspirational speeches I've been watching tonight, one little girl pretty much said that extraordinary things start with big dreams. I believe in that.

I might be feeling sort of lost now--as to how, where to start--but I know I don't want to spend the rest of my life feeling I've done nothing for anyone. If one has a talent or just something worth sharing, why keep it to oneself?

Granted, realistically speaking, one also needs material things to survive in this materialistic world. I owe a debt to my family which will be repaid in the form of finding, building a better life for them and for myself. This is why I can't just go on and pretend to be "surperwoman" and forget those who have supported me economically, emotionally, physically, you name it. Nevertheless, this is what I want, this is what I dream. I'm working on it and simply waiting for the right moment to take the leap.

Dream big. Even in my random spurts of misery, dreaming big is something that no one can take away. As long as I'm able to do that, at some point, anything is possible.

No comments: